Monday, November 16, 2009

Pride and Prejudice


I recently re-watched the loooong mini-series Pride and Prejudice starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. This is definitely my favourite version of this classic book. There are so many great lines and the actors pull them off admirably!

Jennifer Ehle is lively and engaging in her portrayal of Elizabeth Bennett.

Colin Firth is appropriately stern and disapproving.

And the Bennett family as a whole was by turns silly, loud, and sarcastic.

Recommended for: Book purists and people who love BBC mini-series.

Overall, I like this one the best. However, the others are good too! If you are a fan of the story, I suggest you watch them all!


The oldest version is pure comedy. Liberties were taken with the story, as the movie is based on the play version, rather than the book! Also, the time period was moved to much later than is usually shown, probably to play off the popularity of the big skirts in Gone With The Wind.

This movie moves at lightning speed. Mr. Darcy (Laurence Olivier) plays a much nicer Darcy than in the other versions. Lizzie, played by Greer Garson, is lively and charming.

Recommended for: Hyper people or fans of old movies.


This next one was made in the 1980s and it is probably my least favourite. Still, it sticks very closely to the book and it has some lovely moments.


Recommended for: Die-hard fans of BBC mini-series.


The newest version has created a whole new wave of fans for this story. It pushed the time period back a bit, to include the earlier lower waistlines. I'm not a huge fan of this newest version, but there are good things about it.

Rosamund Pike played a very pretty Jane.


Claudie Blakly and Tom Hollander were amazing as Charlotte Lucas and Mr. Collins.

Recommended for: Everyone

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny! We have nearly the same opinions about these films. You forgot that not only is Colin Firth appropriately stern and disapproving... he is appropriately handsome! That was one of my biggest disappointments with the newest version.. I couldn't get passed Darcy's nose. Shallow, I know. And I do like the Greer Garson version as well, so funny and fast. She is one of my favorite 'oldie' stars. I have seen the 1980 one so rarely that I can't really have an opinion about it. And the new one... Collins is a HOOT. So repulsive we cringe every time we watch it! Now, you are making me want to read the book again....

    ReplyDelete