Monday, July 6, 2009

Public Enemies



On Sunday I went to see Public Enemies. Set during the Great Depression, it focuses on the true story of FBI agent Melvin Purvis' attempt to stop criminals, namely John Dillinger. First off, let me say that I think my expectations were a tad too high. After all this does star Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, and Stephen Lang! I'll start with the good first.

~As far as I could tell there were not huge amounts farbness going on. The costumes were cool and I have to say I love the haircuts the guys were sporting.

~The acting was top-notch as you would expect. Stephen Lang especially.

~The leading lady. Marion Cotillard did a wonderful job. The scenes with her in them were some of the most interesting, she really pulled off a lot of warring emotions well.



Now for the bad.

~The camerawork. There were times when I felt very dizzy, because the camera jostled quite a bit. I could be imagining this. :P

~The lack of character development. I did not have much sympathy for John, Melvin, or any of the other gangsters. I had a tiny bit for Billie, but even with her we were given minimal back story.

~Lengthy action sequences. This may have to do with me being female. ;) I can only enjoy a gunfight for so long.

All in all, a decent movie. It could have been much better though, with the talent they had acting in it.





No comments:

Post a Comment